MAKE IT CUTE
This homemade lemonade is the *perfect* summer treat
When I picture my perfect summer day, it almost always includes unwinding with an ice cold glass of homemade lemonade. From hosting neighborhood lemonade stands in elementary school to drinking lemonade by the pool in high school, lemonade has been an integral part of my summers since I was a child.
While store bought lemonade may be convenient, there is something special about making lemonade from scratch. Whether you consider yourself to be a lemonade connoisseur or you've never *actually* made it before, we've come up with the *perfect* lemonade recipe for anyone who wants to treat themselves this summer. Like the phrase goes, "when life gives you lemons..."
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup water (for simple syrup)
5 lemons (or 1 cup lemon juice)
2 1/2 cups cold water (to mix)
Optional: lemon slices, lime slices, berries, mint leaves
1. Make the simple syrup. Mix sugar and water together in a saucepan. Bring it to a simmer while stirring it, allowing the sugar to fully dissolve before removing it from heat and allowing it to cool.
2. Juice your lemons. If you have a juicer, feel free to use it. If you have never juiced a lemon before, check out this tutorial for assistance.
3. Strain the lemon juice. If you don't like pulp in your lemonade, strain the lemon juice after juicing the lemons. If you like pulp, you can ignore this step.
4. Combine the ingredients. Mix the simple syrup, lemon juice and cups of cold water together in a tall pitcher. Taste the lemonade and add more ingredients to taste. If the lemonade is too thick, add more water. Too sour? Add more sugar. Too sweet? Add more lemon juice.
5. Garnish with toppings of your choice. I always loved adding a lemon or lime wedge to my glass, but some people prefer other additions. If you need some other recommendations, I suggest adding raspberries to the drink to add a sweet, fruity twist to a tart classic. Another idea (that is, TBH, more for aesthetic than taste) is to top your drink with a mint garnish.
What is your favorite summertime drink? Let us know by DMing us on social media @girlslifemag.