MAKE IT CUTE
Make homemade marshmallows for your hot cocoa
Nothing pairs better with a good book and cozy blankets on a cold winter night than a steaming mug of hot cocoa. And of course, that means marshmallows galore. The mini kind that come in the hot cocoa packet are pretty disappointing though, so make your own fluffy toppers with this simple recipe.
1 cup water
3 Tbsp powdered gelatin
1 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper. Dust the paper with powdered sugar to keep the marshmallows from sticking.
2. In a bowl, mix the gelatin with 1/2 cup of water. Set aside.
3. Combine 1/2 cup of water, honey, vanilla extract and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil until it reaches 240 degrees (use a candy thermometer!). It should take about 8 minutes. Remove from heat immediately.
4. Add the honey mixture into the bowl with the gelatin. Mix with an electric mixer until it becomes the texture of thick marshmallow cream. Pour into the parchment-lined pan.
5. Smooth the top using a spatula or spoon and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Top with another sheet of parchment paper and press down lightly to even out the marshmallows.
6. Allow to set for 4-6 hours and then remove from the pan, cut into squares and enjoy!
Do you like hot cocoa? Let us know in the comments!
Recipe credit: Laura Fuentes.