FAB UP YOUR LIFE
DIY paper Valentine T-shirt
What you’ll need:
Plain t-shirt in any color
Piece of tulle, gauzy fabric or an old pair of panty hose (a gauzy fabric, like a sheer curtain, will give you the best results)
A heart-shaped doily or an image of one (hand-drawn or printed off the Internet) that’s the size you want on your T-shirt
Large embroidery hoop (find it super-cheap at any craft or fabric store)
Mod Podge glue
Screen printing ink in whatever color you like (find it at a craft store)
What you’ll do:
1. Grab your doily or find an image you like.
2. Secure the tulle, gauzy fabric or panty hose tightly in the embroidery hoop. Place it on top of the doily or image, then lightly trace the image you want to appear on your shirt onto the fabric.
3. Flip the hoop over and paint the Mod Podge in the negative space—the space you don’t want to be colored in by the ink. Do this carefully and over newspaper.
4. After the glue is completely dry, place the image, glue-side down, over your shirt where you would like it to appear. Place some newspaper or cardboard inside your T-shirt so the ink doesn’t bleed through onto the back.
5. Use another brush to paint on the ink. Use an up-and-down stippling motion to make sure it goes all the way through the gauzy fabric onto your T-shirt.
6. Follow the directions on your screen painting ink to “set” the image.
Will our craft give you the same results as EmersonMade’s awesome shirt? Nope. But it will let you mix up the colors and give ya something fun to do with your girlies before V-Day!