2 HOURS AGO Don’t let the mild weather turn you into a couch potato! Get up, get out and get going!: http://t.co/M7RCTVNe9p

3 HOURS AGO RT @Alexa_Curtis: NEW POST// A super belated post from the @girlslifemag event in Baltimore last month! http://t.co/5ehd2l1aQr http://t.co/pic.twitter.com/FCpAvvEna6

4 HOURS AGO Check out ‘Girls Who Code’ new tampon game… We can’t stop playing!! http://t.co/AdbzImClOX

COMMENTS

This just in: Your school year is about to get longer

So you’re thrilled to pieces when the final bell rings at 3 p.m., right? Well, don’t through your papers in the air and starting shouting...

Oh! Let's all just make kids go to school, come home do hours of homework, then make them do it all over again. No time for extracurcular activitie at all!

by pariskitty11 on 2/11/2013 12:34:30 PM

No! School is already stressful enough, it doesn't help to add more. Kids are already dealing with a lot, adding more time will make our lives miserable.

by fashionluvah on 1/13/2013 9:29:52 PM

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! At that moment I was just thinking that school should only be 3 days a week. They already give us too much work and too little time! If they extended the hours of school but took away at least TWO days per week I would be so happy. This entire education system needs to hear OUR voices! I heard that there were studies that said the hw has NO AFFECT on our education! Wow. Imagine a world without hw or these crummy state tests...

by Vintage_Me123 on 12/26/2012 6:01:30 PM

Whew, not my state Tong But seriously, that SUCKS! D:

by DaNcInGQu33N9812 on 12/15/2012 10:54:57 PM

nope...nope....nope...This is horrible! I will not go to school for 300 more hours! I learn more during the summer! Will we even have a summer? this is ridiculous!!!

by Bailey72 on 12/13/2012 7:30:56 PM

Think of the sports! The later you get out the later sports are gonna be Tong, who wants that?

by RoJo77 on 12/11/2012 11:57:50 PM

That's downright creul!

by bunnyboo2224 on 12/8/2012 1:02:19 AM

@Lynae P. Okay, so me and my friends are doing this REALLY BIG project for our town, and I know that we can't post links, but if you could just look at it because it is really hard to explain on here...: www.themaksproject.blogspot.com
this is a blog that we created for the project we are doing. Hopefully you read it so you know what I am talking about, but we need to do lots of fundraisers to get money. I need some suggestions for fundraisers, also I want to ask some business for help, like possibly donate land (My dad is friends with a guy that practically owns half the town) so i need a way to make a presentation sort of thing. Thanks in advance!

Hey radiolovergirl, mhmm what are some of yours and the other member's interests? Are you guys into fashion, sports, art?

Lynae P.

by radiolovergirl on 12/7/2012 6:19:47 PM

MODMODMOD
Okay so this is like the fourth time in a row I have posted a mod comment( and a non mod comment) and it hasn't showed up. None of them are inappropriate... I posted one sometime yesterday around this time about a fundraiser and a project. I know I'm complaining, but its really getting annoying having to comment like two times because the first comment didn't show up.

Hey radiolovergirl, no I would feel the same. I wasn't logged on yesterday so I don't know why the moderator didn't get to your comment. Maybe there were too many girls to answer and they couldn't get to yours? Whatever the case, I apologize for that. Send your question in and I'll be sure to help ya out. Write me back girly. Xoxo

Lynae P.

by radiolovergirl on 12/7/2012 6:09:01 PM

My school just told us today that we are getting 45 extra minutes a day starting next year. :/ I live in Conneticut so thats why. Bleh

by peaceupdog99 on 12/7/2012 6:01:57 PM

Oh well I already go to school til 4:00. Tong But we have every Friday off, yay!

by jerjer6 on 12/7/2012 4:16:25 PM

This is a good idea, provided that these schools go to a block schedule or some such thing- that is what my school is doing next year, although it's really weird, because they did seven classes instead of eight... I do think school should be longer, because in high school people do not have enough classes to take the subjects that they want to.

by irishdancerzrule on 12/7/2012 12:02:42 AM

300 hours!!! What is wrong with people these days?? That is totally unfair. If Indiana does it I will freak!!

by Lizzylizard101 on 12/6/2012 9:49:42 PM

So glad I don't live there!!! Phew!!! Smile

by AlwaysDreamer on 12/6/2012 8:10:00 PM

Please join my clubTongopularity/Fashion/Shopping/Beauty you can get advice on how to be popular. Thanks

by Katrinaisamodel on 12/6/2012 7:25:15 PM

PENNSYLVANIA!!!!!!! :-D I love school, anyway!

by Macsncheese on 12/6/2012 6:57:19 PM

Terrible idea. 300 hours?! Now that's just extreme.

by LovePeaceHope on 12/6/2012 6:30:08 PM

I'm not sure if lengthening the school day is the solution to help students keep up in critical areas. Most students (including myself) have schedules packed with extracurricular activities, plus lots of homework. Lengthening the school day will wind up making students go to sleep later, making them pay less attention and be less functional in class.

by flowerblossom on 12/6/2012 6:03:07 PM

noooo! I don't live there, thank goodness. that would be 43 more days of school for me! or every day would be about an hour and 45 mins longer!!!!!

by sarahaqua17 on 12/6/2012 5:25:21 PM

It's not that bad...i like school but i don't know if longer school days or more school days is the answer...i live in Massachusetts.

by orlandobloomrocks on 12/6/2012 4:39:13 PM

I like school but I'm really introverted and hate being around all those kids all day. I would hate to be around them any longer than I have to!

by Glitterheart16 on 12/6/2012 2:03:22 PM

CANADA...

by BageraGirly on 12/6/2012 8:09:16 AM

i live in tennessee! Frown good thing i like school...

by the_girl_in_goal on 12/6/2012 8:04:21 AM

i almost screamed in shock...till i realized my state isnt doing it! Smile

by cutieartist on 12/5/2012 10:59:50 PM

During this harsh economy we gotta step up my game plan and outsmart china and japan and other nerdy countries! It's for the best and it'll be worth it later on in the future! Laughing What you do now will effect the future as my teacher would say, do what you need to do so you can do want you want to do!Laughing

by Susmita24 on 12/5/2012 9:09:39 PM

whew! not my state...

by myfatsquirrel on 12/5/2012 7:44:25 PM

I think increasing the school day or lengthening the school year is a bad idea because we barely have enough time to finish homework as it is after school, so adding more time to the school day would not work, and lengthening the school year is just annoying and unfair as well.

by otter77 on 12/5/2012 7:44:24 PM

GO SCHOOL!!! I LOVE SCHOOL U R SOOOOOO LUCKY IF UR SCHOOL IS DOING THIS!

by leechichi on 12/5/2012 7:32:07 PM

It is hard enough to get kids to go ro school all school year this will make the kids that have trouble in school have even more. It will cause more problems then help.

by thrag9956 on 12/5/2012 7:00:43 PM

This affects my school, we were talking about it today in class. It's mostly because of how many days we lost due to continuous storms in the last two years. They also think this generation isn't taking the education seriously. Unfortunately they are right, but I don't want to go to school longer . Frown

by Cait850 on 12/5/2012 5:16:49 PM

What?!?! Nooooo! I live in Connecticut and I'm sorry but this just cannot happen! School is so way long enough!

by maggie183 on 12/5/2012 5:10:12 PM

Also, a lot of schools are already having major budget cuts, and we're about to pay our teachers for more hours? That's a great plan! Why don't we start serving caviar for lunch and hors d'oeuvres before each class? Oh! And don't forget about giving each of us a laptop so we can do our schoolwork!

by sarah.sjworm on 12/5/2012 4:05:47 PM

That's really irritating considering half of the stuff I do in school is busywork already. they're trying to give us more hours? So that we have to do even MORE busywork? They do realize that kids will start skipping more, right? This, I think, is the most stupid idea I have ever heard the government come up with, and, believe me, they've had a lot of stupid ideas. They think adding more hours is going to help us catch up with those Asian countries? Or that less kids will start dropping out or skipping? It won't help us catch up with China, Japan, etc. If anything, it'll make us more behind, as more of us kids will have less time to do homework, projects, study and the like. As for the skipping problem- if anything, more kids will start to skip. The kids that skip already consider school too long! Obviously, in order to combat against the skipping, the only answer is to give us more days and hours to be in school! (Can you sense the sarcasm? It's dripping.)

by sarah.sjworm on 12/5/2012 3:58:49 PM

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!! Join my club: Operation: YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! Our mission is to post anonymous notes in public places for other people to find. The point is that WE ARE ALL BEAUTIFUL!!! In my club, we will have daily quotes that you can put on post- its to uplift girls. We also give advice on how you can make your day better, and everyone else’s day better! So please join our uplifting club so we can tell everyone that we are beautiful the way we are!

by rockchik333 on 12/5/2012 2:35:24 PM

wait like even band they're taking away at your school

by kyleigh1234 on 12/5/2012 11:18:16 AM

maybe its not her choice maybe her parents chose

Karin E.

by kyleigh1234 on 12/5/2012 11:16:14 AM

To be perfectly honest, I don't think this is going to make a difference. Studies show that just because you work LONGER doesn't mean you learn better. Working that late and then having to do about an hour to two hours of homework, is just too much and kids are going to stop paying attention. I know kids in Asia work more and are more successful and have more work ethic but the kid's parents are also teaching their kids differently. Personally, I think this is just going to make things worse.

by iluvmusic♥ on 12/5/2012 10:58:37 AM

I agree with more arts education in schools, but how will we be able to do other activities outside of school?

by iRead on 12/5/2012 5:46:43 AM

Hey Girls! Join Legit Boy Advice!

This is a LEGIT club about boy advice. Any questions you have let me know because guess what?! I have 5 brothers and I have each age group of boys that you will have questions for (about ANYTHING)get REAL answers from REAL BOYS themselves! All you have to do is include your age and question and I'll get right too it!

by Chloe<3 on 12/5/2012 2:23:01 AM

I'm homeschooled , and working to finish school early and I have a lot of school to, but I'm getting a good education.Kids are going to school and sitting around all day where I live (CA).They have short days and they have days where they don't go to school at all, and the school district might be taken over by the state because of budget cuts.I feel bad for the kids, they want us to run the U.S. one day but they are not getting a proper education.There should be more hours to the day but teachers actually need to teach, instead of just letting them draw all day. So their are to sides to this, Good and Bad.

by emmacd on 12/5/2012 1:01:54 AM

to get into an Ivy league or specialized school. It is ridiculous that people are so upset about this when our counterparts in Asia are kicking our butts.

by IDKBoys on 12/5/2012 12:39:28 AM

I am all for an extended school day. Since i dont live in the lower 48 i wont be affected by it anytime soon. I love school and there are days when I wish it was longer. There is a reason the U.S. is falling behind educationwise. I just got done reading Outliers by: Malcom Gladwell. It is a very thought provoking books intended for adults but I'm in an HG program so my L.A. teacher assigned it. In one chapter it talks about since Asians used to/sometimes still work all year tending to their rice patties, they have developed this work ethic that surpasses everyone esle in the world, Europeans and Americans,especially, have no where near that work ethic, when its cold outside, we dont go work outside in the cold we bundle up in our coats and rush to our warm car that takes us to our warm buildings. There is a reason lots of kids drop out in 10th grade. The No Child Left Behind program is a waste of time, kids in Asia have to work harder to get into high school than Americans have to...

by IDKBoys on 12/5/2012 12:37:38 AM

ahh no non no! Hopefully this won't happen to my state. Our teacher already gives us 2 hours of homework a day and I'm only in 5th grade! She just randomly thinks of assignments/project and gives them to us! She says we might have a mass project during X-mas break! Hope this doesn't happen! GIVE US A BREAK JEEZ! kids need a break once in a while. I know USA wants to be top again but your gonna kill us!

Thank you for listening to my rant. (:

by gemstone_smile5 on 12/4/2012 11:28:17 PM

i live in canada,so this wont affect me,but if they added one hour to the end of my school day,i's be walking home in the dark...

by FrenchRose on 12/4/2012 11:19:39 PM

That sucks! 300 hours is a lot! :O

Sooooo glad I live in Canada right now!

by haileymonkey11 on 12/4/2012 11:03:54 PM

My English class has been talking a ton about this stuff and my teacher predicted that it probably won't dramatically change in our generation. Maybe for our kids though. The reasons why they want to extend the school year/hours is because 1) Other countries like Japan and South Korea have over 220 days of school, and it puts a behind in our education 2) Our schedule is based for the 20th century because they made summer long enough for kids to help on farms and stuff. This effects us because we run on a 21st century life, and our schedule isn't the same, making it hard for us to work on an outdated sort of schedule 3) We may get more education with the extended time.

by alexia_directioner<3 on 12/4/2012 10:54:30 PM

I live in CT and am hoping my school isn't one of the ones in this program. I get we have to learn and stuff, but I don't think they really understand how much a break is needed. We already lost our winter vacation from Hurricane Sandy, so from January til April we won't have a break. Frown

by sclarkin on 12/4/2012 9:43:17 PM

tank god it's not minnesota XD

by aki2000 on 12/4/2012 9:40:18 PM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! S.O.S.! HELP ME! it must be that time in the bible when all the bad things start to happen and the world ends &we all die! hey.. ppl say the world is going to end dec. 21. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

by katherinebrown2001 on 12/4/2012 9:28:47 PM

Not me -- the Archdioceses cannot move the date of Graduation, so my last day will always be June 15th, under no circumstances! WOOHOO! Our school might close this year anyway because of the Archdioceses anyway.

by Kikikim8 on 12/4/2012 9:01:02 PM

Good thing I don't live there. this confuzzles me because people are always saying "get some extra currics on your plate because it'll look good on your college application!" and you think "yeah, i will". so you take up a sport and another (example- yearbook committee). then they add more hours? and stress "8-9 hours of sleep per night!" well guess what? there is not enough time for all that. these people need to make up their minds of what they want us to focus on most! grades? school? athleticism? extra curriculars? more sleep? i'm not sure anymore!

by alindgren on 12/4/2012 8:32:59 PM

so glad i don't live there.

by sarabieber1799 on 12/4/2012 8:25:54 PM

I love this idea personally, because longer school years will only help us learn things and be smarter and releive stress on teachers. And for everyone who's gonna say bad things about this post, I did this topic for this huge test speech we had to do as an eighth grader and was pro, and I was asked to present it to state legislature. So I know what I'm talking about when I say in the long run, it benefits a lot, and will help us compete with other countries when it comes to education rankings.

by cheerfulcheer on 12/4/2012 7:54:37 PM

THIS IS TOTALLY FAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Girls dont get all worked up about it. My principal said this was no way true and that you should not believe everything you read!!!!!!!!

by eclipsechick12 on 12/4/2012 7:53:23 PM

My school in Texas ends at 4:00pm Frown but it starts at 8:45 Smile but still, I hate how i barely have any time for fun, or homework. I get home at like 4:25 cause I ride the bus, if Texas joins in (which I doubt they will since their education system is horrible in my opinion) I'll literally get home when its dark outside! This is a horrible idea. And my school, a middle school, has 30 minute lunches and no recess or break and no courtyard or 'commons' so we literally get no fun or break at all and if I was at school any longer I'd have NO LIFE at all, become depressed, and go insane.

by emroxlol on 12/4/2012 7:51:28 PM

I live in one of those states and my school day doesn't end till 4 pm!!!!!!

This is a horrible idea! This might not happen to my school because it gets out late enough though.

by fieldhockey001 on 12/4/2012 7:07:51 PM

Frown I live in Massachusetts, and my time in school already got longer hours. Frown

by gin15 on 12/4/2012 6:34:50 PM

I live in Alabama and at my school (which is a private school) starts at 7:40 AM and ends at 3:30 PM. We have lunch at 11:00 AM, and we aren't allowed to eat between classes, so we all get really hungry. People around our area find this extreme, because public schools start at 8:05 and end at 2:30. Hopefully, our school days will decrease, people have actually passed out because of hunger and over exhaustion. We also (not to brag) are learning what would be considered advanced as our standard level, and college level as advanced, so we also have at least 3 hours home work. Our school is really hard, and we also have a long school year, so I don't find this as extreme as it could be.

by hidi75 on 12/4/2012 6:27:24 PM

If you did the math, assuming you went to school 180 days per year, you are actually going to be in school 1.66 minutes extra each day. 1 minute! That's not so bad girlies Smile

by SuNsHiNe...the.great.escape on 12/4/2012 6:24:03 PM

This is horrible!! My school is one of the main ones considered!! We already have four two-hour classes. Has anyone noticed that its mainly states that opposed Obama??

by Bookworm16 on 12/4/2012 6:20:18 PM

I'm so glad i don't live there. But it the new health care gets passes, my school gets shut down.

by RubySparkle on 12/4/2012 6:15:40 PM

I don't love there but that is not fair for anyone who does!!! I mean I feel so overworked right now from school. Kids need time to relax. More hours honestly is just too much.

by BabyDahl13 on 12/4/2012 6:05:31 PM

honestly i think most kids ll start skipping school more. Also, i think more kids will be stressed and that will lead to stress related health issues. More time in class gives teachers more time to assign homework. Those of us who do extra curriculars, such as dance, will have to cut back. most extra curriculars provide exercise, so it would go against preventing child obesity.

by luvmonkey1313 on 12/4/2012 5:58:06 PM

Glad I'm homeschooled and that I graduate high school in May. But, even though I'm homeschooled it doesn't mean school is easy. I actually do school year round, and I'm never really done with work. There is always something else I could be working on. I'm also dual-enrolled in community college, so I have college work to do as well. I'm going to be ahead of other people my age when I graduate community college, though, because I'll be transferring into a four-year university as a junior at only 19. So even though my schooling is not at all easy, it's totally worth it.

by rockinlishy on 12/4/2012 5:40:33 PM

I know this may seem like a small problem... but i have ADHD and i take medicine for it. It wears off after 6 hours and i don't know what i'd do if the day was longer. It would ruin my schedule and i would be hyper and extremely distracted the rest of the day! If we lengthened the school year we would practically be going to school into August! With all the snow days we're having now i don't think it's a good idea. Sorry for putting you through my long complaint! LOL. Smile

by Lioncub190 on 12/4/2012 5:29:42 PM

<3 CALLING ALL GL YOUTUBERS Smile
Check out my videos: mintyfreshswagger27
I want your opinion! What videos do you want me to do??
Just post them on my channel wall Smile
*rate*comment*subscribe* thanks!!! <3

by softballismyBFF on 12/4/2012 5:25:08 PM

Are you kidding me?! There is such a thing as tutors, people! Plus, what happens to the kids who are already smart and don't need extra schoolwork? Extending school hours is just going to make students more miserable!

P.S.; there was a spelling mistake in the first paragraph. It's "throw" not "through".

by HelenaPS on 12/4/2012 5:22:36 PM

why? we already wasted like 90% of our time in school? why make it longer? i swear, it's like they WANT us to be home-schooled.

by coobs123 on 12/4/2012 5:21:42 PM

Im from Westchester, NY and my teacher was talking about adding days, not hours. He said that we could start going into saturday and july. UGH

by prettypinkelephants on 12/4/2012 5:13:07 PM

I think each individual student should have the option to decide whether or not their day is longer. I would want to stay at school longer if it meant more electives because I am going to have trouble choosing between 4 electives next school year. Extending MY day would solve that problem. I'm not saying that it should change for everyone, just the people who want to stay longer.

by BrynnaRox on 12/4/2012 5:11:28 PM

Omg!!!! Why do they do these thing??? Just to let use suffer? This is stupid we need more fun time!!!!!!!

by Prim on 12/4/2012 5:07:44 PM

This doesn't make sense. Most schools are having major budget cuts right now. The districts can't afford to pay the teachers for more hours.

by happy-go-lucky14 on 12/4/2012 5:00:03 PM

I would not like it, I hope my school day doesnt get longer. And I dont get it, I have friends who are homeschooled and they have so much more free time and are so much smarter than a lot of the people I know in school. Longer doesnt mean better just like bigger isnt always better.

by fashionqn on 12/4/2012 4:51:17 PM

How about you ask an actual kid how that wil go...

by realchk on 12/4/2012 4:43:44 PM

I'm glad that I don't live near there, and I think the idea is STUPID!

by MountainLover456 on 12/4/2012 4:24:03 PM

i live in ny and my year is actually shorter this year

by greeknspooky on 12/4/2012 4:18:54 PM

Kids already have a hard enough time getting through school sane. Adding more hours is going to get us more unfocused and unwilling to do the work because all we would want to do is leave. plus, what about after school activities?

by soccerholic on 12/4/2012 3:42:12 PM

Im homeschooled and don't live there. YES!

by Gracie206 on 12/4/2012 3:40:09 PM

I know! I am from Connecticut, and a couple days ago it was on the front page of the newspaper! I was so disappointed. After reading this though, it is good to know that it will incorporate more arts though! I only have fifteen art classes a year, and I love art!

by Caitlin2000 on 12/4/2012 3:33:36 PM

Well, in some places they have school year round, but with a one week holiday every five weeks. I honestly think that would work, plus we'd still get the customary holidays and vacations (except for summer) off.
Also, there are numerous mistakes.
"Well, don’t through your papers in the air and starting shouting about freedom just yet." should be "Well, don't throw your papers in the air and start shouting about freedom just yet."

by pinkcutiix33 on 12/4/2012 3:30:57 PM

they are taking away all extra curricular programs at our school. That mean no sports, no choir, NOTHING! it sucks Frown

by GlowInTheDark on 12/4/2012 3:30:03 PM

I just have to live in Massachusetts...
I think that my school day is just fine. If i got home like an hour later than id trip myself walking to my house a million times because it would be so dark. If theyre adding more hours then i woyld rather have more school days then more hours.

by snowver11 on 12/4/2012 3:22:42 PM

Thank goodness I dont live there!

********************************************HEY GIRLS!!!!!***************************************************

by puddinface7 on 12/4/2012 3:18:00 PM

Oh man! I live in Tennessee! Im homeschooled now, but i might go in public school next year. If this is the case i don't know what im gonna do? But i don't think its a good idea i mean people have to have a life, then there is homework, aand fam, sports! I think if their smart the'll have less summer days off. I mean its better then going to school till 5pm!

by serenitybaum on 12/4/2012 2:58:01 PM

I think that school days shouldnt be longer because most of us cant get our homework done untill like 11 anyway and if you add more housr of school, thats later that we stay up so the less sleep we get so the less we can pay attention in school. Or if we just cant finish our hw in time, we get bad grades so the idea of having longer school days so we excel just goes out the window.

by niallove45251 on 12/4/2012 2:39:50 PM