1 HOURS AGO Be that fashionista at the lunch table with a great lunch box too! http://t.co/9ueXEtzmCY

2 HOURS AGO #GLgirls, GL + @AllstateCapital are wishing you an awesome holiday weekend— so #GetThereSafe and #XtheTXT! xo http://t.co/h9ztFAUq8u

2 HOURS AGO Looking fit and fabulous at the gym couldn’t get any better, right?! http://t.co/ziKuDmDghd

COMMENTS

Hey, Mr. President! Let's talk about sex

Let’s be honest: Sex ed is seriously awkward…but it’s also seriously necessary. This year, sex education is standardized across the U.S.—kids from Maine to California are learning...

obama is smart.we need kids to know about contraception as well as abstinence.some couples who commit to abstinence will break the habit, so they should also learn about contraception

by ashbabe567765 on 11/7/2012 1:27:53 AM

Obama's points make more sense. teach them of the consequences of not abstaining instead of just saying obtain. If people to don't like that they should have the choice to opt out.

by bloop116 on 11/4/2012 12:45:58 AM

Really? Well, they should still teach kids about avoiding these situations. I don't think they should be taught to young ages though. 5th grade is probably the best time to start disscussing this topic. Also, parents should choose an appropriate time to talk about what it is and how you could avoid being pressured to do it.

by wesdelwarrior on 11/3/2012 8:10:40 PM

Wow, I never heard about schools showing what some people are talking about but I know there is a difference. I also know from reading online that a lot of european countries who have much lower teen birth rates than ours also show very explicit things in their sex ed classes. They show the complete naked body thing starting in middle school, so just showing things doesnt mean you are going to start having sex.

A real good place to get teen information online is from "Embarrassing Bodies", its for teens and it goes into a lot about what we deal with and want to know about. And a lot of teens I know are non-virgins already and just need to know certain things.

by fashionqn on 11/2/2012 6:22:46 PM

I agree with Imura all the way. I also though, do not believe in contraceptives. Sex is not something for people to fool around with. In fact, it's only intention is to CREATE CHILDREN, so unless your goal is to have a baby, don't do it. So for those who are still going to do it, it's not the government, school, or anyone else's job to give them contraceptives and basically give in to the opinion, "They're going to do it, we might as well teach them how to prevent children while they're at it" I'm sorry, it's wrong.

by Kstar101 on 11/2/2012 3:32:37 PM

Sex ed is important, and no matter how you go about teaching it, there's always one in every crowd who is going to do what people advise them not to do. So neither way is going to solve the problem, although abstinence is the way to go as far as I'm concerened.

by LRM15 on 11/2/2012 3:03:06 PM

If you are not in a position to raise a child like a responsible adult (I mean having a job, money, and shelter), then you have no business whatsoever engaging in adult activities. It is entirely selfish when one puts their own pleasures above the prospect of not being able to care for their potential offspring. I was an agnostic for years when I realized this, so I can say with confidence that my opinion has nothing to do with religion.

by Imura on 11/2/2012 9:36:26 AM

There is no such thing as safe sex!

So?!?

by monopolyandpenny2000 on 11/2/2012 8:44:14 AM

I totally agree with President Obama! Teens are going to have sex no matter what so we should at least teach them abut contraceptives. I know a ton of girls at my school who aren't virgins so this would really benefit them. Also this article wasn't biased. The author posted facts. Everyone has to take a seat and live with it. And to everyone saying that they are teaching sex to kindergarteners they do not! They teach them how to be a good friend and what to do if you're uncomfortable with something. Nothing more and nothing controversial. Peace Girlies!

by Anabanana<3 on 11/1/2012 10:45:23 PM

I agree with LovePeaceHope. madlizz, I have no idea what kind of a sick school shows stuff like that to kindergarteners, but where did you even get that information? And, if you have something against kids, who might be gay, learning about homosexuality, you need to grow up. I feel sex education should be taught so kids and teens aren't careless with their bodies.

by litmarvel on 11/1/2012 10:32:32 PM

I sense a slight bias in this article....

by adrienne224 on 11/1/2012 10:01:05 PM

Romney is right! If you teach people about how to get abortions, or how to use condoms, it seems like you are encouraging them to do it, but safely! YUCK! If they do it and get pregnant, it's their fault, and they need to face the consequences!

by iluvuso on 11/1/2012 9:42:58 PM

I agree with Obama, kids will find out about sex anyway and will get curious, so better for them to learn at school, which should also prevent more teen pregnancies.

by savethefrogs on 11/1/2012 8:27:48 PM

@madlizz They don't show that stuff to kindergartners, and I'm sorry if whatever crazy school you go to shows a mom and her SON having sex does, but I think you should consider calling the police on them. I mean, please! Where are you getting this information? They don't show kindergartners that sort of stuff. They may teach those small kids a little stuff, but they don't go all out and show them PICTURES! And there is NOTHING wrong with kids learning about gay couples. And I'm sorry if you're scared of homosexual couples and are homophobic, but that is not at all a bad thing, and you should really grow and learn to accept people for who they are.

by LovePeaceHope on 11/1/2012 6:15:34 PM

Don't you guys know what they teach to the kindergartners? They show them things like a man and women having sex, a man and man having sex, a woman and woman having sex, brother and sister having sex, mom and son having sex. That doesn't sick to you? When's the last time a kindergartners needed to know the homosexual stuff?!? Sex isn't okay, and them warning you against things like AID's are good. BUT telling you that you should wear a condom to be safe is not okay. It's like encouraging sex, and abortion! People say obortion is killing something that wasn't even alive! But that's so wrong, tons of babies die. They have a heartbeat after 14 days, if I was raped I would keep my baby. I wouldn't want to be a murderer. If the baby isn't dead when they force it out, then they throw the live baby away in the TRASH, or stick them in closets. It's sick and I'm glad Romney is against it. I pray that people come to realize what is going on in America.

by madlizz on 11/1/2012 4:49:34 PM

Obama, you are absolutely right. There are many reasons why it is beneficial to our society to teach kids sex ed, but as everyone knows, teens rebel. Teens are told "Don't drink, don't do drugs." Teens drink and teens do drugs. So if teens are told "Don't have sex" without any education, America will have a huge percentage of pregnant teens and teens with STIs. Thank you Obama!

by coracat on 11/1/2012 12:43:29 AM

Just because we learn about sex and both male and female bodies doesnt mean we are going to go out and have sex right away. I think we need to learn, we are at an age where we are curious and without proper information we are going to learn from the internet anyway and see things that may not be reality when it comes to sex.

I know some schools only talk about abstinence and other schools show pictures of bodies and how to use condoms on fake but real looking male body parts. So it should be uniform because if some students are only learning about being abstinent and others are learning about explicit stuff it doesnt seem even or fair.

I hope that makes sense.

by fashionqn on 11/1/2012 12:27:18 AM

I agree with Obama, there are people who hear the abstinence presentations and think no way! what they arent thinking about is protection. Its their choice but if they decide to have sex the might as well at least know how to use protection.

by myipodrox16 on 11/1/2012 12:21:56 AM

Okay, I agree with Obama on this one, because honestly, think about it. If teens really want to go out and have sex, some aren't going to care about the school teaching them about abstinence. I don't plan on having sex anytime soon, but I usually tune out those lectures too. But you can help prevent STD's and unplanned pregnancy by teaching about forms of contraception, which are not part of abortion, FYI, abortion is when you prevent a fetus from growing any more and removing it, which in my opinion is not killing, wrong, or illegal, I'm just saying. I personally think abortion should be allowed, because I was raped a couple months ago, and I was super depressed and scared and it was awful. If I had added a baby onto that at 14 years old...I don't think it would've been good for me or the baby. And every anti-abortion person, do you really have a say in another women's choices? How would you like it if some woman you don't even know decided to control your life?

by cheerfulcheer on 10/31/2012 11:40:37 PM

I agree with Obama.

by YouCanCallMeCat on 10/31/2012 9:20:36 PM

I'm usually not on Obama's side but this time I agree. I was just in health class and I know that the more I here and learn about teen pregnancy and the birds and the bees the less I what to know let alone um, you get the idea

by Prim on 10/31/2012 6:49:53 PM

I stand with Obama's point of view. I think abstinence and other important things having to do with safe sex should be taught in schools.

by otter77 on 10/31/2012 6:02:53 PM

that should really be left up to the state not the national government!

by luvmonkey1313 on 10/31/2012 5:25:44 PM

MOD MOD MOD!
Who would you suggest I contact about this article? As a magazine that is supposed to support all viewpoints, this article was clearly extremely biased, as stated in my previous comment. I have always enjoyed GL, but after this, I don't think I will be reading any of it anymore.

hey girl! I'm sorry you feel that way. I know the writer of this article, and she didn't mean to come off as biased. She was simply presenting her view, just as you're doing with your comments. With freedom of speech, we're all allowed to share our opinions. And if you read the article, you'll see that the author never used emotion to fuel her argument, rather she used studies. She then invited readers like yourself to comment on what you think. Just because you don't agree with the author, doesn't mean she's wrong and you're right, or you're wrong and she's right. We're all sharing our opinion, something that is considered very important at GL.

I hope you keep reading the magazine. When I was younger, there were some things that GL said that I didn't agree with...but more important than that, GL helped me become who I am today.

xoxo

Katie L.

by ali2468 on 10/31/2012 4:52:53 PM

Wow, I am utterly speechless at my frustration with Girlslife. As a magazine that is supposed to support all viewpoints, this is extremely biased. This article is not backed up with research or cited references, and does not explore in detail the benefits of Romney's stance.
What the majority of the nation does not realize is that sex ed programs through organizations like Planned Parenthood provide people with the cheapest contraceptives and weakest birth control drugs, increasing the likelihood of future abortions. Scientists have found that life begins at conception, therefore as stated in the Constitution, the government has the responsibility to protect the right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Abortion is the deliberate killing of a human life, and is clearly unconstitutional. I urge you to watch the video 180 on YouTube if you need more help regarding this issue. And to GL, please be more considerate in the future of BOTH stances.

by ali2468 on 10/31/2012 4:50:27 PM

im with Obama. theres a saying, you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink. People can inforce abstinence all they want but some teenagers will still have sex. Its important to let them know that there are ways to have safe sex if they are going to.

by N3rdyRand0mn3ss on 10/31/2012 2:44:01 PM

I have to agree with Obama on this one, but I kind of disagree too. I don't think a sex ed program or promoting abstinence is going to stop teens from having sex. Teens are still gonna go on birth control and use condoms. if they want to do it, they're gonna do it. unfortunately, that's the truth. i wish they would stop but when someone wants something, they're going to go for it...

by myfatsquirrel on 10/30/2012 7:18:33 PM

Look at the science...it's obvious both are necessary, even though it is very important to stress abstinence...Obama has a point...

by Acutiebookworm on 10/30/2012 7:16:19 PM

I am a democrat, so usually I agree with the democratic side of everything (not always!). I do agree with Obama, teens need to be educated! Politics and sex are a terrible mix. We have Todd Akin talking about "legitamate rape" as if rape isn't always legitamate??? And insurance shouldn't cover abortions and birth control??? What is wrong with people? I like keep away from these kinds of things. (Sex and politicsSmile )

by JustluvAriana on 10/30/2012 6:56:22 PM

GO OBAMA ROMNEY WILL RUIN AMERICA

by xoxojillianxo on 10/30/2012 6:54:51 PM

It makes me sick to say but for once Obama is right!

by Lizzylizard101 on 10/30/2012 5:56:43 PM

teaching kindergarteners about abstinence? lol!

by alindgren on 10/30/2012 5:06:07 PM

Obama knows what he is talking about

by j4zm09 on 10/30/2012 5:05:09 PM

I agree with Obama on this one. Sure, it's important to stress abstinence (especially since it's a REALLY young age that people are starting to get involved) but it's important to teach that if you're going to do it, at least be safe while doing it.
I don't like the talk about abortion, and how "it's a good choice" and whatnot. If you made a life, don't take it away. Keep the baby or put it up for adoption where it will have a better life. I just find it unethically right to take someone's right away to live, to have a chance because you forgot to use contraception.
I think, that if you're going to get involved, that it's best to use contraception (although you shouldn't be active at even 16, 17. I think it's WWWWAAAYYYY too young), but don't abort. Don't give up hope on life that would be cancelled because of a mistake. Give it a chance.

by SecretID on 10/30/2012 4:40:51 PM

This is one thing I have to disagree with Governor Romney on. Smile President Obama is right. Not only do we need to teach them about the importance of abstinence, it also is important to learn about safe sex using The Pill, condoms, etc.
But then again, I'm still going for Romney when it comes to the abortion thing. I'm glad he's taking that away unless in cases of incest/rape. Plus, President Obama seems to not care about whether teens are having sex and getting pregnant. He's the most pro-abortion prez we've ever had. And I don't like it, to be honest.

by fungirl123 on 10/30/2012 11:07:32 AM

If teens want to have sex, odds are they're going to. Obama is right if they're going to do it anyway at least teach them how to have sex the safe way.

by arg5890 on 10/30/2012 9:58:10 AM