2 HOURS AGO Wanna see what the stars have in store for your future? http://t.co/t6rGzm22ZX

5 HOURS AGO Our secret for beating bestie battles: http://t.co/VHvHgYJ4lj

6 HOURS AGO 20 ultra-easy fashion DIYs: http://t.co/sqS2OUFOue

COMMENTS

The truth about big-name diets

How they work and whether or not you should try one.

Hey Girlies,

People think that you need to totally cut carbs out of your diet to be healthy. I am here to tell you that does not help. First of all there are very few foods that have no carbs. Meats, water, lettuce and most diet beverages have no carbs, but totally avoiding carbs is impossible unless you only eat or drink these items. Let's set one thing straight about Carbohydrates, a carbohydrate is a unit of energy. Sure there are foods that have a lot of carbs, which you should only eat once in a while. Over all you need carbs to survive. But next time, if you have a choice between deep dish pizza and thin crust, go for the thin crust, it'll be just as tasty as the deep dish, but it won't leave you feeling like a glutonus pig.

by Gizmo001155 on 7/7/2012 1:54:28 PM

so you have a ton of junk lying around your house and nothing to do with it. Plus you want some new jewelry without spending a ton. What do you do? Join my club and find out how to turn ordinary stuff around your house into funky and creative jewelry! Join my club DIY Green. We'd love to have you!

by kpianoplayer on 5/12/2012 1:07:58 PM

I have to lose 20 pounds in 2 weeks to be able to fit into my dance dress. Is there any way to do it?

by bellababy4 on 5/9/2012 9:51:57 PM

MODMODMOD
I'm twelve years old and 5"1'(156cm). I'm about 122 pounds. (I didn't weigh myself yet because we did a huge run today so i'm not sure). I did a kids weight calculator online and it said i'm at risk of being overweight. Any tips?

hey! don't think about dropping pounds to meet a deadline. instead focus on having a healthy lifestyle year round with moderate exercise and a balanced diet. You may not drop weight in two weeks, but that's the way to maintain the right weight for your body. at girl's life we promote the idea that a healthy you is the most beautiful you there is. Here's our fitness page with tips on how to get in shape : http://www.girlslife.com/category/health-and-fitness.aspx

Helen S.

by animallover126 on 5/4/2012 6:16:49 PM

MOD MOD MOD MOD
i feel so fat, but im not obese but i am overweight. i need to lose weight, but its really hard for me. i tell myself not to eat the unhealthy foods, and next thing you know it i have a cookie in my hand. HELP.

Hey girl, I know it can be frustrating at times, but don't beat yourself up over it. The key is to live a balanced lifestyle. One cookie is totally fine for dessert, but a whole handful after lunch won't help. Try to eat three balanced meals with healthy snacks in between. Aim for lots of fruits and veggies all day long, some good sources of protein (think chicken, yogurt, light cheese), healthy fats (nuts, avocados, olive oil), and whole grains (oatmeal, whole wheat bread). Some simple changes will really make a difference. Try to avoid high-calorie drinks, like soda and juice, and drink flavored water or tea. If you find yourself reaching for sugary treats, have a piece of fruit instead or a piece of bread with chocolate peanut butter. Don't deprive yourself though--one dessert after dinner each night is totally fine! Just try to keep it reasonable; have a cookie, not a huge ice cream sundae loaded with unhealthy toppings.

Do you exercise at all? Start out slowly by doing 15 minutes each day this week and then add on five more minutes as the weeks progress. You'll find that you'll have so much more energy and will start to really feel great about yourself. Take a walk around your neighborhood after dinner or run up and down your stairs. Each little bit counts!

Remember to check with your parents and doctor first before making any serious changes, though!

Colleen K.

by wisherdreamer<3 on 4/30/2012 6:27:42 AM

MOD MOD
people in my 6th grade class always compare weights and one of my friend in like (edited by mod) and I am around that weight too. But all the boys started saying how that was fat and how they only weighed 80 lbs!
Ps. we are both a little above 5 feet.

Hey girlie,

That is NOT fat! Don't let the boys make you feel bad. The truth is, boys mature wayyyy later than girls, so they still have "kid" bodies. They're super super skinny, probably even a little scrawny. But the girls are going through puberty, growing up, changing, and basically filling out. You're getting curves like boobs and hips - and even though the boys are making fun of you now, in a couple years they won't be able to take their eyes off them. (Gross I know haha, but seriously - they're making fun of something that they'll love in a year!) Plus it's dangerous to compare yourself to other people because everyone's body is different and your "healthy weight" depends on lots of things like height, age, lifestyle, etc. If you're concerned about your weight, ask your doctor all the questions you have. But the thing is, you need to make sure you're treating your body well and being healthy. THAT is what matters - not the opinion of the people around you <3
Lauren C.

by Glitterheart16 on 4/28/2012 11:31:20 PM

MODMODMODMODMOD
I am overweight an am trying to lose weight. The ting is though that I always eat fruit and never drink pop unless it's my birthday. I probably eat less than 2/3 as many fried foods as I did a year ago. But I am still 30 pounds overwieght. This really annoys me because the boys I like are really skinny. So are all the models in clothes mags. This has led me to believe the only way to be pretty is being skinny! I know this isn't true but it's really hard to accept myself as fat. Almost no clothes look good on me because if my weight! Anyway, I realy would appreciate it f you had some tips for unsporty girls like me to work out and lose lots of weight. Thanks!

Hey Beautiful!

Let me start of by saying that every girl is beautiful, regardless of her body size. I’m sure you are beautiful just the way you are. Still, if you are looking for weight loss tips, make sure you eat whenever your hungry. A lot of girls think if they don’t eat they will loose weight. This is not the case because it just leads to over eating later on. Try eating more healthier foods and eat whenever your hungry. Exercising is tough but the hardest part about it is getting up to do it. Start out small and work your way up. Try walking each day or maybe play WII exercise games and work your way up to running, jogging, etc. Any little bit helps, but remember, the best beauty secret is confidence! One of the first things a guy notices about a girl is her confidence. Love yourself and know that you are beautiful, no matter what the circumstances!

Lynae P.

by LilMissAmazing on 4/28/2012 7:01:35 PM

~MOD~I don't know how many fruit an veggie servings I should be having a day. I've read and it said that for my age and gender I should eat 2 servings of fruit and 3 servings of veggies daily. Is it okay if i eat 5 servings of fruit and 5 servings of veggies every day? Thank you! Smile

Hey girl! Eating five servings of fruits and five servings of veggies a day is awesome, just make sure that you are also hitting the other food groups! Your body is still growing so getting enough fruits and veggies is extremely important. Aim to get at least one serving of fruit or veggies with each meal and have something like an apple or carrots for a snack. For added nutrition, top plain yogurt with berries and almonds or add spinach to an egg omelet with a side of toast. Strive for balanced meals--a fruit/veggie, a whole grain, a good source of protein, and a healthy fat (nuts, avocados, olive oil). Keep up the good work with the healthy eating, sweetie!

Colleen K.

by HAZELELMDUST on 4/25/2012 9:48:50 AM

Want to be healthy but don't know how? Join the club How to get active for tips weekly on being healthy and share some of your own secrets!

by rainyseattlegirl on 4/24/2012 6:40:56 PM

mod mod mod mod
Heyy so I have a little bit of a problem): whenever I shave my armpits, no matter how many times in a row I do, I CAN ALWAYS SEE THE HAIR that I just shaved!? Also I know that I am shaving because I have tried so hard to not be able to see the hair that it ended up accidentally cutting my armpit instead. Are there any hair removal creams that you reccommend? Thank you!!!(;

Hey girl, everyone has this problem--you just might have darker hair. Because you are shaving, you are only cutting the tip of the hair and are not getting to the root of the hair follicle. I haven't had much luck with creams in the past, but you could try waxing. You can buy wax strips from the store or you could go to a salon and have them do it for you. Talk to your mom beforehand (she'll need to help you if you do the strips at home, anyway) to make sure that you aren't damaging your skin by over-shaving.

Colleen K.